Everybody likes Kebabs. Kebabs are big here where I live.
When I first saw my husband make kebabs, he made them in their traditional shape – the shape of poo logs. It has taken me years of seeing poo-shaped kebabs at every barbecue without cracking myself up.
The following recipe is an excellent and delicious substitute for beef kebabs that even your favorite carnivore will enjoy. The original recipe is HERE.
In the original recipe on Almost Turkish, these red lentil kebabs are not cooked. I wanted them to be roasted and have the same tight texture of meat kebabs. I also drastically lowered the oil content. Recipe as follows.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Line a baking sheet with paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Wash the lentils and boil them in the 2 cups of water for 20-30 minutes or until they soak up most of the water.
- Turn off the heat and add bulgur and salt to the lentil pot.
- Mix once and cover to let the bulgur expand.
- Set aside to cool
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion (not the green one!) and cook until soft.
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cumin and paprika and stir.
- Add the tomato-onion mixture to the lentils which should be cool by now.
- Add the chopped parsley, green onion, and lemon juice to the lentils.
- Mix it all really well. You may need to use your hands.
- Take about 3 Tbsp of the mixture in your hands (You can wet them if it's sticking) and form into torpedo-shaped (poo log shaped) kebabs.
- Place kebabs on baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, turn kebabs over and cook for 10-15 more minutes until firm and lightly browned.
- Serve with rice and tahina or inside pita with chopped salad.
This post is participating in Wellness Weekend at DietDessertandDogs.com. Please check out all the delicious and healthy recipes HERE.
and Healthy Vegan Fridays. Check out all the great recipes HERE.