I am writing to you from the balcony of my new digs. That above, is my view. Aaaahhhhhhh…. I have waited so long to live in a place like this!
(I can hear my mother fretting about how fast I’m going to kill those pretty plants!)
OK, so June was a tough, tough month. Finding a place we would be happy living in, buying it and moving into it, was as hard as any marathon I have ever run. But we did it, we crossed our finish line and now own our first home here in Israel! I am completely delighted with the new place and the new energy it contains. I am inspired to do all sorts of creative things with my work and they will of course be showing up here. I thank you all very, very much for your patience with me all this time!
This recipe for cheeseless pizza rolls, or bourekas, as they are commonly called here, with spinach and olives, is a mash-up of several different recipes. First, I used my own whole grain pizza dough recipe HERE. Then I was inspired by this Hebrew recipe HERE and this one from Live.Learn.Love.Eat HERE. This is my hybrid:
- 4 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar or natural sweetener
- 4 cups flour (I use a combo of white, whole wheat and chickpea flour, but you can use any flour you like)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp olive oil or cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 300gram box of spinach, stemmed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- about 1/4 cup tomato sauce, homemade or jarred
- 7 large olives, pitted and chopped
- Mix yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup warm water.
- Set aside 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
- In the meantime, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
- Stir in yeast mixture, 1 cup water and olive oil.
- Mix with your hands until you get a smooth dough.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and set aside to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Saute onion in oil or cooking spray (or water) until soft.
- Add spinach and saute for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400C.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- After dough has risen, punch it down and then roll it out to a large rectangle (about 1.5 ft by 1 foot). Here is a photo with the rolling pin for scale.
- Spread the dough with the sauce, then the spinach-onion mixture, and sprinkle with the olives.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into 8 lengthwise strips.
- Roll each strip into a spiral.
- Place each spiral on a prepared baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
This post is taking part in Healthy Vegan Fridays. Check out all the great recipes HERE.Pin It