Always on the lookout for healthier sweets and snacks for my kids, I was delighted by the look of these peanut butter pretzel cereal bars on Chocolate Covered Katie HERE. I made my usual modifications and came up with this great kid- (and adult-) pleasing treat!
- 2 cups puffed brown rice
- 1 cup oats
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp tahina (golmit) -You can use all peanut butter or even almond butter if you prefer
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea salt, depending on whether your peanut butter has salt or not
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- Line a 9"square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Lightly spritz the paper with oil spray and set aside.
- Process the oats in a food processor until it becomes oat flour.
- Pour oat flour into a bowl and add puffed brown rice.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, warm peanut butter, tahina, vanilla, salt, and syrup.
- Stir until well-combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine until well mixed.
- Press mixture firmly into the prepared pan.
- You can top with chocolate chips or melt the chips first in the microwave as I did, and then spread or drizzle over the bars.
- Stick the pan in the fridge to cool and harden before cutting into bars.