It’s been a long time since we have had a recipe post around here. I have been cooking. A lot, actually, thanks to pinterest! But it such a production to post recipes and the whole thing with photographing food is a real challenge for me. Anyway, I will do my best to work us out of this recipe backlog.
One other thing: Not only do I have my own pinterest account where you can follow me and find all kinds of amazing vegan recipes, art projects, fitness tips and work-outs and other inspiring content, but I am also now in charge of The Vegan Woman pinterest account. I’ve been writing for The Vegan Woman for a month or so now. I forget that maybe some of you don’t have Facebook, or are not following me there, so maybe you didn’t even know about this.
Here are all the links:
MY pinterest account is HERE.
The Vegan Woman’s pinterest account is HERE.
Articles I have written for them so far:
You can friend me on Facebook HERE. It’s my personal page – I don’t do a business page – but I would be happy to meet you there.
On to the recipe!
This recipe comes from vegangela.com. Check out her original recipe because she has photos of how she made the bowls and drool-worthy photos of her finished product.
First you make taco bowls out of whole grain tortillas:
Then you let everyone fill their taco bowl as they wish:
We had beans, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, cucumbers and avocado. You can add whatever you like in your taco salad, but these were really delicious and I loved seeing the kids heap salad into their bowls.
Original recipe can be found on vegangela.com here: http://www.vegangela.com/2011/08/14/vegan-taco-salad-with-homemade-tortilla-bowls/
- whole grain flour tortillas, as many as you want to serve
- cooking spray
- Cooked beans of any type, whole or in a refried style, mashed and sauteed with oil and onions/garlic/cilantro
- Lettuce/spinach/kale, shredded
- Bell pepper, sliced
- Carrots, shredded/julienned
- Cucumber, shredded/diced/sliced
- Corn kernels
- Portobello mushrooms, sliced and sauteed (to mimic steak)
- Tofu strips, sauteed (to mimic chicken)
- Mexican rice
- Salsa (store-bought or quickly made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, lime, cilantro, chili)
- Creamy cilantro dressing (in a blender, whiz soft silken tofu with a bit of water, olive oil, garlic, and cilantro)
- Guacamole or avocado pieces
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
- Green onions
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Find an oven-safe bowl that the tortilla fits in, crimping up the sides like a bowl.
- Gently press the tortilla into the bowl and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and overturn the bowl. Now drape bowl-shaped tortilla over the bowl, spray with a little cooking spray and place back in the oven for 5 more minutes until golden and crispy.
- Carefully remove from the oven and drape over another bowl to cool. (I gently squeezed each cooling tortilla between 2 bowls of the same size to ensure they would hold the bowl shape as they cooled.
- When cool, stack tortilla bowls into one another while you prepare fillings.