What do you do when you have an amazing recipe to share, but the finished product, although delicious, is shockingly unphotogenic?
Do not let their homely appearance deter you! These yummy and SUPER easy rolls are going to change your life!
I found the recipe HERE. It is apparently one of those legendary recipes passed down from home-baker to home-baker, grandmother, to daughter, scribbled on the back of shopping lists and post-it notes.
The rolls take just a few minutes to put together. You basically just dump all of the whole grain, vegan ingredients in a bowl, cover it with a plastic bag to rise, and then plop onto your baking tray and voila, done! No kneading, no proofing, no fussing. Yet, my kids? Crazy about ’em! “Make ugly rolls Mom!” is a common request heard here.
Do it. Make them. Make people happy. Looks don’t matter.
- 1 kg (2 lbs) whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1 cup oats
- 7 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 6 cups water
- Mix flour and yeast in a very, very large bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix until the ingredients are combined. The dough will be very liquidy and gloppy. Just keep the faith and follow the instructions.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic supermarket bag and set in a warm spot.
- Allow the dough to rise for about an hour. It will be almost spilling over the bowl at this point!
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray
- Wet your hands with water, and grab a handful of the dough and simply PLOP it onto the baking sheet.
- Continue plopping the dough onto the baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches/5 cm. apart.
- I top my rolls with a spray of cooking spray and then a sprinkle of Zaatar and Nigella seeds, but any seed topping will do, or none at all.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the rolls are golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before taking off of the parchment paper.
- Here they are as part of a more photogenic meal that included lentil soup, salad, ugly rolls, muhamarra (Turkish red pepper spread) and sauteed kale with onions.